Here's to the Age of Conversation

Here’s how it all happened.

I posted about a project called We Are Smarter than Me which gives people a chance to help author a guest book.

In the comments of that post Gavin Heaton said "Great concept! And it sounds like it could be fun … but you know what, Drew? I reckon between a few of us we could knock out a short book…All we need is a theme and a charity …"

To which I said…"You are very right.  Let’s do it.  Watch for an e-mail from me!"

Two weeks later — here we are.  And we’d like you to consider joining us.

Conversationage_2And out of that blogging conversation and a few e-mails, Gavin & I concocted the idea for an e-book about this new era of communications we’ve all entered together. But not just any book. It has to be a quick book. Exciting.  Sharp. Inclusive. It had to be a book about community and conversation that came from that community and spoke the same vernacular. The title — The  Conversation Age.

And  that is why we are talking to you. Our idea:

• 100  authors. We’re a few but need more.
  • The  overriding topic is "The Conversation Age" — where you take it is up to  you.
  • The items  are short – one 8.5" x 11" page — it can be words, diagrams, photos (again up to  you)  If it is words – about 400, give or take a couple.
  • We  write it quickly and get it out there. We publish electronically.
  • We  make it available online for a small fee and we donate 100% of the proceeds to  Variety the Children’s Charity  — which serves children across the entire globe.

If you’d like to write a chapter, here’s  what you need to do.  E-mail me with a commitment and a focus/topic that will fit under Conversation Age (first in gets to choose) by April 11th.  I’m going to keep the master list so we keep the content from getting too overlapped.

Your chapter will be due April 30th.

We’ve already got a few chapter authors on board.  Want to know who your co-authors will be?  (If I missed anyone — I apologize. Shoot me an e-mail.)

Gavin Heaton
David Armano
Bob Glaza
Mark Goren
Matt Dickman
Scott Monty
Richard Huntington

We hope you’ll join us!  And a special thanks to Mike Sansone for creating our button for us!

UPDATE: Ann asks a great question.  Who is our audience?  Our intended audience is anyone who has to create marketing tools in this Conversation Age.  It might be a small business owner, a CMO, a marketing student, an agency type, a marketing blogger, or even a professor who is teaching tomorrow’s marketers.

UPDATE 2: We were waiting until CK was back online to make this announcement.  As most of you probably know, she lost her mom recently.  Gavin and I decided that one way this community could honor our friend CK and her mom was to dedicate the book to her. What I said to CK in an e-mail was "as you can imagine…many of your friends have already signed-on to write a chapter. So it felt right to make this community and conversation-focused book be dedicated to the woman who obviously taught you your values of community, listening, loving and bringing others into the conversations."

And so it will be.  We hope that makes this project even more special to all the authors, readers and of course, our friend CK.

UPDATE 3:  The book is CLOSED!  We have exceeded our 100 author goal — thank you very much.  We are now a mere 17 days away from the chapter submission deadline, so we will  not be accepting any new authors.  Stay tuned for the author list — it rocks!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Thanks for pulling this together, Drew. One clarifying question: Who do you see as the audience for this book? I know you say, “Where you take it is up to you….” but it helps if I know where to aim it.

I am SO in on this! I love the entire concept- is it possible to sign up for more than one chapter? Anybody who has ever read anything I’ve written will know there is no way I can stick to 400 words.

Seriously, this is awesome and I hope my application gets accepted.

Love the response to this idea! Thanks to all of you for jumping on board.

Please be sure to e-mail me with your chapter’s topic so we can make sure we don’t have a lot of duplication.

This book is going to rock! You aren’t going to believe all of the incredible content and insights.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm.

Just found this link from Becky Carroll’s blog…Can I play? Shaping Youth would love to be a part of this conversation, especially with your tie to children’s charities! Check out our site, see what you think.

It’s always good to see company’s thinking outside of the box. I’m not sure how many virtual telephone systems this will actual sell, but it’s only through that campaign and your blog, that I have now visited their website.

Its the place where we can get info about marketing and passion together i like to share it with my friends thanks for post.
    Regards,

It was a very nice idea! I’d be honored to be one of contributors. Just wanna say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post. I will be your loyal reader.Thanks

Hi Drew – Age of Conversation was a stroke of brilliance. Not only in terms of content (which is wonderful)but it brings to light the reach of social media and the generosity of bloggers.

James (auto insurance),

The book is really a primer on this new age of communications tools and cultural shifts. So it’s perfect for anyone who is working with others — from teachers to business owners. And of course, marketing folks.

The group of authors in “The Age of Conversation” understand book marketing and online promotion.

Not only are the authors each experts in their own right, they have used best practices in creating a wonderful example of publishing done right.

I’m excited to say that I’ll be participating in the Conversation Age project being put together by Gavin and Drew. I’m in the process of crafting my content and am honored to be apart of the effort.

I like to bring this book when I do speeches about viral marketing, Web2.0 and blogging because it gives a very tangible example of the power of new media. The whole concept of world conversation can be a bit intimidating or frightening to some, but The Age of Conversation brings it to a concrete level.

Make sure you have a prominent link to the Amazon listing so that readers can easily purchase the book. (Remember to use the affiliate link above. All of these earnings will go to charity as well.)

thanks for this. looks like a great read. I especially like the idea of “We are smarter than me”. With the contribution of 100 authors The conversation age looks like something I should be getting into!

The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

Thanks for this read mate. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! But I admire the precious time and effort you put into it, especially into interesting articles you share here!

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from now on. I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a nice day!