The psychology of color

Color (or the lack of color) triggers a very powerful emotional response in us.  We can use insight as we select company colors, design logos, create ads, build websites and even create products.

Check out this fascinating infographic on how we react to color.

Bravo to CertaPro Painters for creating this and Cool Infographics for originally sharing it.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

A lot of restaurants in particular Asian (also culturally influenced of course) ones use the color red.

It would be interesting to see how music ties into all of this. There is also some science behind which paintings are hung in hospitals. All very interesting to me.

2. Ynna says

Hi Drew! thanks for sharing this information about color emotional responses in us. I really appreciate it and i learn so much on you. Thanks for the post and keep the good work.

I love how they picked Victoria Secret as one of their examples for the use of pink. Its interesting it see the infographic made use of color and how we see things. Did you know that blue wasn’t always a boys color.. years ago it was Pink not Blue that was for boys.. Yet we think about guys wearing pink now? humm how color ideas change over the years as well..

Great infographic to choose website colors – think of the emotional response you want from your viewers and choose the right colors to trigger that subtly.

5. Linda says

I love the infographic. The design and format of the tutorial made it fun to look into. I do not much have talent in choosing the right colors yet I can relate to the ambiance it provides. Thank you for sharing this can serve as an effective guide.

Hi Drew,

Thanks for sharing this infographic. Subtle cues in someone’s environment can have a huge effect on their behavior. Research on psychology used in marketing strategies or merchandising is of great interest to me. I look forward to reading future articles by you on these subjects.

-Sarah

Great post and one that resonates with me. I was drawn to purple a few years ago and then I got into the Personal Development/hypnotherepay area and found that purple is a spiritual colour!

It’s interesting that some people see certain shade of yellow and thing Mcdonalds or Orange and thing TNT. Colour also acts as a trigger and can trigger major negative emotions depending on what your experience was of that colour.

Chris

Chris,

Your point is an interesting one. Can a brand change our perception of a color? Do we see brown differently because of UPS or yellow because of McDonalds?