What is the difference between a mission statement and a vision statement?

This seems to be a question that torments organizations of all kinds and size.

What is the difference between a mission statement and a vision statement?

Here’s how we explain it to clients:

Your mission is what you do best every single day, and your vision is what the future will be like because you deliver on that mission so brilliantly every day.

Each one should be no more than 10 words apiece.  No long paragraphs, no lengthy missives.  Not 3 things or 5 things.

10 words for each.

Can you do it?

Comments

1. Adam says

ThIs is the best explanation of the difference between the two that I have ever read. It’s long term vs. short term. Very important distinction!!!

2. Destiny Cyrus says

Well a vision is what you wish to accomplish at the end of the year while the mission is what you must do every day, while doing so your vision will come true.

This is a very simple but relevant explanation.
    My mission is to “Make all the members feel like family”
    My vision is to “Grow this membership to improve quality advertising for all members”

Finally! I hear a lot of companies talk about their mission and vision statements, but I really have no idea what is that! This article gives me a clearer picture about the two.

Great post Drew. I love the simplicity of what you suggest. I also believe that from the mission and then vision should come the objectives and specific strategies. All should flow from the ultimate mission to create the most effective and consistent strategies and eventual results!

• Dr. A says

I teach MBA students here in South East Asia.

I add another point – Vision and Mission are critical to get and keep you, the owner of the business, and your employees well focused, as well as making a valuable statement to your clients and all stakeholders.

I believe that it can; I had a vision of where I want to be long before I really knew what my mission was! Also I run these as two separate processes for my clients; firstly to create the vision and then develop the mission

Well after a long time wondering what I am doing, it was a process I went through as part of my NLP Practitioner training which it total is about 2-3 hours and is something I am now qualified to take others through for them to develop their true life purpose/mission

Chris

Chris,

That sounds like incredibly rewarding work! Think of the impact your efforts will have, through all of those people who can now truly honor their own purpose.

Trackbacks