Social media cheat sheet 2011

Screen shot 2011 04 10 at 11 59 05 PM
Social Media Cheat Sheet 2011

As I continue to travel the country, teaching people how to integrate social media into their marketing efforts — the most common question asked is:  Which social media tool/site is the best?

And of course, my answer is an unequivocal — it depends.  The crowds sure love that!

Like any marketing tactic — the effectiveness of it is based on what you’re trying to accomplish.  Social media is no different.  Which is why, about a year ago, I was so happy  to share with you a cheat sheet that ranked different social media tools as good, okay, or bad…based on the goals you had.  (Created by CMO.com).

The goals were/remain:

• Customer communication
  • Brand Exposure
  • Traffic to your site
  • SEO

The social media cheat sheet has been updated.  I think you’ll find it very valuable as you access where you should spend your social media resources (time, money, attention) in the coming year.

You can download a full sized PDF by clicking here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Hi Drew,

First off, this is a terrific resource! Well done.

Second, I’m curious why Blogs aren’t on the list. I know they are not a single platform like the others, but they still seem to form an integral part of the Social Media landscape.

This isn’t a criticism. I’m just curious.

At your service,
    Michael

Michael E. Rubin, Social Media Strategist, Fifth Third Bank
    Disclosure: I’m a Fifth Third employee, but this is my own opinion.

Michael,

I suspect blogs were left off the chart simply because they are so varied and really, can be created to achieve any of those goals – depending on how they’re managed and how/what content is created.

They could and probably should have their own chart. (hmm, adding it to my To Do list!)

GL,

You’re right — using social media to build a brand is a very wise choice. But don’t forget to marry your online efforts with your offline presence as well. The two need to work in concert.

Great post, Drew. Incorporating social media into the marketing plan has been a hot topic for me over the past 24-months and I am (sadly) amazed that most of those conversations still start off with “We want to launch , can you help us?”

So I just want to say “Thanks!” – for reminding us that the starting off point is why (goals) and how (strategies), not where (tactics).

Best, Pat

Pat,

Of course as you know — the question of “why” should always launch any marketing conversation. If we don’t know where we’re headed — how in the world will we know when we’ve arrived?

Thank you for taking the time to update and revise such a useful chart. A great resource no matter how involved one may or not already be in social media.

Tracy,

I’m happy to share the revised chart with you. I agree it’s an awesome tool. But just for clarity — I didn’t create the chart, CMO.com did. I’m just passing it along!

Great post Drew! This is a terrific resource. I wish I had thought about doing this a long time ago!! Thank you very much for sharing this chart with all of us!!
    To Your Massive Success

Thanks for the social media cheat sheet. I’ve been looking all over for good social media development tools. Great work on the blog.