Social Media Cheat Sheet

Screen shot 2010-03-04 at 11.21.55 PM As I speak to conference audiences across the country about social media, one of the questions I always get asked is… how do I know which social media sites to use?

Of course… there is no single, magic or easy answer to that question.  It all depends on your goals, your overall marketing strategy, your resources and your industry.  It's not a cookie cutter sort of thing.

However…there's nothing wrong with a little cheat sheet to help you determine which sites are best for:

• Customer communication
  • Brand exposure
  • Driving traffic to your site
  • SEO

Which is why the cheat sheet created by CMO.com is so handy.  It ranks the most popular/used social media sites (from the biggies like Facebook and Digg to the less talked about Reddit and del.icio.us) as good, okay or bad for the four goals above.

You can download a much bigger, easier to read PDF version of it by clicking here

Hat tip to my buddy Gavin Heaton, who wrote about this a couple weeks ago.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Great stuff, but I have to disagree on Facebook not being good for SEO. Facebook pages are now being indexed by Google, and I know when someone does a search for certain terms, not only do they get my website above the fold, but they also get my Facebook page. That’s two properties (3 if you count my Twitter account) that often show up high, thereby bumping some of the competition down. In that way, it is GOOD for SEO as a distinct property…but only if you actively use the Facebook page and update it regularly. Plus my blog is posted on the Facebook page daily so it draws traffic to my site.

Cyndi — glad to share!

Ken — I wonder if they developed the chart before Facebook cut the deal with Google? I agree, it’s become a much more valuable SEO tool of late.

Hello from Montana:

Thanks for your important work. It has been a struggle not to lose sight of my message, when mentors keep pushing me to sell.

It will be easy and effortless to market through many avenues and methods. I will give value and excellent content that will enhance the lives of others.

Your friend,

Judy H. Wright

4. Missy says

You do realize the “grandfather of traffic spikes” isn’t Digg, but Slashdot. “Slashdotting” was around as a popularized term for traffic spiking a half-decade before Digg even came along.

Thanks for sharing this Social Media Cheat Sheet, Drew. I found your site via Chris Brogan sharing this post on Google Buzz.

While the Cheat sheet provides decent information for CMOs to learn about basic social media networks, I think a social media cheat sheet will only help CMOs if they first understand the importance of blogging and blogging for business.

In my opinion, without a business blog, CMOs shouldn’t bother with Social Media Networks for Business. :)

6. TSRH says

Conversely, if one was to look for the best possible experience with an online community of people, they could just follow your chart in reverse!

Funny how that works…

7. bob dobbs says

It might surprise y’all to know that all of these websites offer options where companies can PAY for advertising.

Unless you have absolutely no advertising budget whatsoever, this sort of behavior is more than a bit sleazy.

This is a wonderful guideline. Thank you for posting. I would like to warn people though that generalizations are just that and you have to consider the specifics of your company to make social media marketing determinations. For example, LI works really well for agencies and professionals on traffic driving, if they offer good and interesting content to other professionals.

Excellent resource! Cheers Drew – will be pointing people at this when I give a short talk to a Local Creative / Design Networking event later this week, saved me laying one out! :0)

Judy — hello Montana! You stick to your guns. Selling is not a bad thing or a bad word. But you can do it with integrity and by adding value!

Missy — I’ve never even heard of Slashdot. I’ll have to check it out. Sometimes being first “a la the grandfather” doesn’t mean you win the game. Seems like Digg is winning.

Ryan — You will get no argument from me on that one. I think the business blog should be the crowned jewel in most businesses SM strategy. The power and reach is huge!

Johan — thanks for sharing the link!

TSRH — I suppose it depends on what you’re looking for in terms of community, but interesting observation!

Bob — Tell us why you think so.

I thought this was VERY helpful and aligns with the need to determine the correct tools for your strategy. I shared it with my readers, along with reminder of the POST method for assessing one’s needs and developing a strategy. Thank you for sharing this!

Great sheet Drew. Love it! This is a good base point for everyone to use especially with where the world is going (social media). I think it’s ironic how so many think that if they just “do it” then it will work. Obviously that’s not true, but it having this and the know how will help people consult their clients on how to properly address the social media wave. Thanks for the help!

Best, Matt