A few weeks ago, Lewis Green wrote a post about his commitments for '09. He challenged a handful of us to do the same.
I've been ruminating on it since then because I don't hold a lot of stock in resolutions. A resolution is a "I'm going to try to…." which almost always results in a week long or month long effort…and then back to the old bad habit. Typically, resolutions are just wishful thinking.
But a commitment feels more solid. It's a promise, not a wish. And so, rising to Lew's challenge…here's my commitment for '09 inspired by all people, Erma Bombeck.
What does that actually mean for me in '09? In a nutshell, it means serving/helping/teaching as many people as I can, both in person and through technology.
But specifically in my work world, it will mean:
- Keeping this blog laser focused on helping business leaders market and brand their business better and smarter
- Continue to travel the country, speaking at conferences and conventions
- Launching a teleconference series that will allow readers to listen, learn and ask questions about marketing and branding
- Introduce a new way for businesses to interact with me and build their own marketing program (more on this in early '09)
- Look for more collaborative projects like Age of Conversation and Bloggers Social that give all of us a chance to learn from each other
And specifically for my soul, it will mean:
- Being present and in tune with my family and friends
- Continuing to be available to speak to college classes
- Continuing my service to the non-profit boards I'm fortunate enough to be on
- Giving myself permission to slow down and find an oasis to soak up now and then
- Remembering that laughter, music and solitude are not wants, they're needs
How about you…what commitment are you making to the new year and yourself?