But sometimes, people do crazy, unexpected things with your brand. Take M&M’s for instance. We’ve all known about the powers of the green M&Ms for years. Pretty darn sure the folks at The Mars Company didn’t start that myth.
But, now they’ve demonstrated that they’re smart enough to take advantage of it. As I was perusing the Valentine’s Day row (have to get ready for Who Loves Ya Baby Day) in Walgreens, look what I found.
I’ll bet they sell a ton of these packages and good for them. Think about what they did:
- They embraced the brand…from the consumer’s point of view.
- They showed a sense of humor and playfulness (always been a part of their brand).
- They took an old product and gave it new life for very little cost.
- They extended their possibilities for the Valentine’s Day holiday. Some will buy the pink and red M&Ms but others will love these green only packages.
- They created a buzz worthy moment for themselves
- They created a seasonal product that people will watch for again next year
Bravo M&M/Mars for recognizing that you can’t rein in your brand and sometimes, you just have to go with the flow. In this case, brilliantly!