How much should I spend on marketing?

Budget This is probably one of the most asked questions of marketing agencies and consultants.  If you google the phrase, there are almost 17 million results.  Guess it’s on peoples’ minds, eh?

I think one of the reasons why it’s on everyone’s mind is because there is no magic answer.  Before we get into the methods of determining a right answer, let’s be very clear about these two points:

The exact amount matters less than having an amount.  In other words, having and tracking a marketing budget, even if your initial number is off, is much more important than getting the number exactly right.

You can have the right budget and spend it on the wrong things.  A marketing plan should always be tied to a strategic marketing budget.

Now, let’s tackle the question.  Here are some of the more effective ways to set a marketing budget:

Percentage of gross sales/revenue:

This is probably the simplest method.  Most experts recommend somewhere in the range of 2-8% of gross sales.  McKinsey & Company is often quoted at 5%.

Most small businesses (less than $5 million gross revenue) should shoot for at least 7-8%.

Industry-specific:

Many industries have their own standard.  For example:

• Consumer package goods:  Up to 50% of projected net sales to launch a new product
  • Industrial B-to-B:  1% of gross sales
  • Retail:  4-10% of net revenues
  • Banks/Credit Unions:  2-5% of assets
  • Law firms:  1-4% of gross revenues
  • Pharmaceuticals:  Up to 20% of net sales
  • Hospitals:  1% of net revenues

Lifetime value of customer:

The idea is simple.  You identify how much profit (on average) you make during the lifetime of that customer relationship and determine how much you are willing to invest per customer acquisition.  If you choose this method be very careful that your numbers are accurate.

Goals/Plan driven:

The thinking behind this method is really a blend of some of the others.  Identify measurable goals (# of new clients, % of revenue increase, etc) and then determine your sales equation.

For example:  For every 100 prospects approached, you get 25 initial meetings.  From those 25 meetings, you can expect to get 12 invitations to present a proposal.  From 12 proposals, you will score 4 new clients.  If your goal is 20 new clients, you now know that you need to approach 500 qualified prospects.  You build your marketing plan to accomplish that and assign the costs accordingly.

Again, this method requires very accurate numbers to make the equations viable.

So what do you think?  Which method do you currently use?  If you don’t have a marketing budget, which method do you think would serve you best?

kick it on Iowa Newz

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

This is a great summary and reminder. Fortuitously I happen to be in just such a conversation with a client! Thanks!

Roy H. Williams recommends you start with a basic percentage of your gross for occupation (rent) and a percentage for advertising, adjust them both by your markup, subtract the rent, and spend the remainder on advertising.

This works for both retail and service businesses.

Chuck,

Sorry — can you run that by me again. Maybe use numbers to illustrate? I’d love to update my post and add Roy’s idea. But I’m a little slow, so you have to paint me a picture!

Drew, thanks so much for pointing to my blog. I just discovered your post today from a click-through. Great points you make! Wish you would have sent a trackback so my readers could find your post too. Wanna comment on my post and link over?

Best wishes and I really like your blog!

Michelle,

Ask and you shall receive. You’re right — I should have tracked back and now I have!

7. Gaming Freebies says

Register, Complete the offers and competition entries earn the required point to redeem your free gaming gift. Free Counter Strike, Free Call Of Duty, Free Left For Dead, Free Team Fortress 2, Free Far Cry 2, Free Half Life, Free iRacing, Free LFS

This is great. I found this on a blog search of my own site, heh. Here is another source for setting a marketing budget. Lot of common points….

link to imageworksstudio.com

Take care Drew,

Scott Margenau

Well I know that sometimes in our business we want to save money, but I think the spend on marketing is part of the future successful of your company

hello
    this information about “How much should I spend on marketing” is really good thanks for sharing.

It is very difficult to decide on a marketing budget. We all agree one thing we need a healthy budget at the time of launching our products. without a healthy budget our product may not get noticed.
    Most marketing Gurus agree on your percentage ie 3 to 8percent,. Well some companies can afford to have more than 20 percent of there sales as a marketing budget.

I think that this question is answered with three “words”: ROI !
    But the follow problem is to measure the ROI. Anyway, nowadays SEO and SMO (Socia Media Optimization) is becoming a amazing way spend less in marketing with greater results.
    Thanks.

Invest a resonable budget into a organic seo campaign with a reputable company – that’s my advice. You should expect to spend at least $500 per month for this.

The concept behind profitable affiliate marketing is simple. Traffic plus conversion equals money.

I am a marketeer and have been for the past 6 years..and I do agree that a marketing plan is very important..cause you can have a ton of money but if you spend it wrong…well it’s wasted money…but you have to have a certain amount to make it worth..there is a certain minimum amount under which investing is not justified..but that amount is deterement by the marketing plan you wish to go through…

Mason,

Without a doubt…the marketing plan and the marketing budget must dovetail. Otherwise, neither will be successful.

I was in charge in marketing a new shampoo when I was on training. The money involve was just too big especially if its a new product. TV ads are indispensable. They work best!

I am looking forward for your next post. I found this informative and interesting blog. I just hope you could make another post related to this. This is definitely worth reading europe

It totally depend upon the field of marketing. We should keep in mind that we should invest according to our budget. Otherwise we get fall soon.

I was searching for this question long time back. Today i got the answer , Thanks for sharing your marketting ideas. Hope it helps me in near future.

Thanks for this very useful info you have provided us. I will bookmark this for future reference and refer it to my friends. More power to your blog.

This is really helpful for a struggling business or one just starting out. I had no idea there were amounts that were specific to an industry. I wonder where my quilting business would fall into?

Really this is probably one of the most asked questions of marketing agencies and consultants.

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.

I spend about 20% of my resources on marketing. However, it will differ depending on the type of company etc.

Marketing is fundamental to succeeding in any business, even non profit organizations obtain funding in order to promote and market their business. With the introduction of e-commerce people are now promoting their products and service at a pace never observed in history. The key now is to optimize your brand and to maintain this market position a competent team of Search engine optimization is necessary.

This is not spam, nor is it “junk” business principals, it is in fact a legitimate approach to the e-marketing, sales and services where the aim is to obtain a fair leverage in page ranking, there fore a better position for you to promote and maintain your market. Certainly there are levels of spam and terrible practices, however, this is monitored and addressed as it occurs.

Thanks for these numbers, I am actually spending a lot more on marketing as I am starting out. Once established I will probably scale down a bit to probably around 2% of gross income.

Christian Louboutin
    Christian Louboutin shoes can now be found all through the world with actresses and singers including Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Gwen Stefni, Destinys child and Kylie Minogue who are all choosing Christian Louboutin womens footwear as their basic dressing.There are scores of women are zealous fans of Christian louboutin shoes that they claimed that they will not loosen the hands on Christian louboutin shoes. You maybe laugh at the zealous women. While you fall in love with it, you will be the same. Christian Louboutin high heel sandals may just be ravishing runners in this modern day.
    Extremely really favored brand concerning designer boots and shoes in support of women nowadays. Christian Louboutin greatly fuschia metal sexy toes and as well as red ray ban sunglasses. Christian louboutin shoes without exception lets a patient experience so fresh in each individual one season,christian louboutin sale will likely make full use concerning their personal gains in order to really beautify the exact heels.

31. Theresa82 says

I myself don’t know the answer with same question you brought up here but one thing I do know I do spend a lot and only to found out that I am spending over-head in my sales.

Dreamweaver CS4 tutorials

I have to say, you’ve got one of the best blogs I’ve seen in a long time. What I wouldn’t give to be able to create a blog that’s as interesting as this. I guess I’ll just have to keep reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a subject with as much knowledge as you’ve got on this one!